Monday, February 13, 2017

God First

I remember the huge transition from full-time work to student labor upon returning to school to pursue my master’s degree. More specifically, the transition from a full paycheck to a piece of it. The conference I worked for felt it best I become fully trained for my calling, and I agreed. From a balanced budget with allotments for savings and discretionary income, I went to living off of $804 a month. With a rent payment of $350, you can start picturing what my life looked like to cover utilities, a car payment, and food. Not to mention a new coat with the move from Texas to Michigan. The temptation came to shorten God’s piece. On paper it just didn’t work, and so I gave in to the temptation. However, the month that I took courage and challenged God to stretch what was left because I wanted Him first, strange things happened. I remember a tube of toothpaste that seemed to keep producing. Simple things like the milk lasting longer in the fridge and a roll of toilet paper that seemed to keep unwinding. All these little things with no explanation but God’s blessings.

As you put God first in your finances, see what He will do for you. Step up into this calling to be a steward of your time, talents, and financial resources. Dare to risk returning to God first, and see what He will do to show His faithfulness.

As Christians we are in charge of His possessions. We are his stewards. When we recognize the source of all we have, our things come into the right focus. Suddenly our resources become tools to further His mission, not to horde for our own selfish purposes. We must employ our time, talent and resources for God’s work rather than to enrich our own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment