Friday, September 16, 2016

Where is the Pastor?

I write to you from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I’m here with one hundred and sixty fellow clergy and chaplains. All of them ladies. This is the fourth such retreat I have been blessed to attend during my seventeen years as a pastor. And while the attendee number may sound small to you, to me I see growth in those numbers. It warms my heart to see so many following God’s call to serve His church.

In the scripture we note that when the disciples felt challenged, criticized and the weight of ministry, Jesus encouraged them to come apart and rest awhile. To serve as a pastor is truly a privilege, and I love this calling God laid on my life. And in that calling, it is the time with God that restores my soul and gives the strength to do His bidding.

Based on Isaiah 40:31, the goal for this retreat is to renew our strength so that we can continue to run and not grow weary, to walk and not to faint. This retreat provided just that. From Chris Oberg who encouraged us from the book of Esther to use the opportunities wisely when we are called for such a time as this. Then joining in a service project to pack 10,000 meals in less than two hours. (Check my FaceBook of pictures of this amazing event!) To hearing Elizabeth Talbot inspire us to dig deeper into the scriptures through a refreshing and new walk through the parable of the Good Samaritan.

I will joyfully return to preach at Williamsburg this Sabbath. This will be an opportunity to share the overflow from this time of reconnecting and recharging. In preparation for that day together I invite you to also find a few minutes for a brief retreat with God. During that time focus on Isaiah 40:31 and these precious words, “But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.”

No comments:

Post a Comment