Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Name Them One by One

A friend shared with me one of her regular spiritual practices, taking time to count her blessings. I realized as I talked over my life and concerns with God, that counting my blessings is just what I need. I started following in her example, naming my blessings and thanking God for them. When I’m driving down the road, feeling the stress of the situation ahead, I begin to list blessings. This simple practice of naming blessings sets my heart in the right tune. Sometimes the blessing is as simple the fresh air wafting through my window. Other times it is a dramatic healing in answer to prayer.

Even though it seems that setbacks come my family’s direction, there are still many blessings that remain. This spiritual practice helps me to remember the things that are going right. So today as I sit with my heart open to God during my devotional time, I will begin by whispering thanks for three of my blessings. Next I will move to the scripture in 1 Chronicles 16:34, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.” Then I will talk with the God who is the author of each of these blessings. I invite each of you to spend time with this spiritual practice. Make time to remember the good things in your life. Will you join me today in this spiritual practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment